Followers

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Ready for hospital, stage two

So, in 24 hours, I'll be in a room at UCSF, probably being told to bend, bend bend. . . Tomorrow (Monday) morning I get manipulated. As if. I go to the hospital at 8 a.m. (my sister will be taking care of me). By 11:15 a.m. if all goes according to schedule (but don't count on it) I will be in an operating room, heavily sedated. For my total knee I had a spinal block -- epidural -- plus big time drugs that made me sleep and forget -- but I was NOT under general anesthesia. I plan to avoid general again. I could choose to be totally awake; I did that for several arthroscopies. But I'm feeling like I want to be out this time. I don't think I can stand more trauma right now. So hopefully I'll get a spinal plus drugs. Anyhow, at 11:15 a.m. or so I'll be laying on the table, probably sleeping. The doctor will take my leg and bend it. And he will continue to bend it beyond my ability today. He will lean his weight on it. Do whatever it takes... And the "adhesions" -- new scar tissue -- will break. As in POP. Crack. etc. That's the plan. If I were awake and aware, I would be writhing in pain. I would give up any information you wanted. I would make any promises. It would be more than torture. That's why I won't be awake or feeling anything. . . After the procedure, I go to my room for in-patient therapy. I'll have a spinal block the whole time so I won't feel pain. And for three days, I will be working intensely. Bending. Bending. Bending.

Anyhow, I am feeling a lot better these days. I'm bending more; I have a great physical therapist at UC who I will be seeing after the manipulation. And I'm actually hopeful that this procedure will get things moving. Get me moving. And then I could move on with other things. Like my life.

Anyhow, if you're inclined, I'd appreciate any prayers, good thoughts, gentle vibes.. whatever.

Better go pack for surgery.

I'll try to get updates posted online.

Cheers,

Janet

No comments: