Followers

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

And the days go by


So, my apologies for not posting lately. But frankly, there just hasn't been any news. I'm waiting to hear from my doctor's office about the date for the manipulation -- should I need it.Which I think I should. If I don't do it, I think I'm forgoing extra bend in my knee. Who knew it would be this complicated? Not me. That's for sure. Anyhow, I put in my strong request to be at UCSF and NOT St. Mary's. St. Mary's was fine when I first went in. But after I was there a few days they put me on what I now think of as the Floor of the Forgotten. Basically, in the first few days you're on the acute care floor. Care is the important word here. Because after that you're considered to be long term or something so they dump you on this other floor where you feel lucky to have meals delivered. It's like a long term care floor. I guess the feeling is that if you're acute, you're gonna get better. But if you're long term, who knows? Whatever the reasoning, that's where I had the trouble -- with everything from getting my meds on time to getting them to bring ice (which they generally didn't or did and made it seem like a big favor b/c the ice machine is broke on that floor. Plus there's just a feeling of we don't really care. For the day that I had the transfusion, it was great in that I got to go back up to the 8th floor where you're considered to be a 'real' patient and treated as such. I don't know how it is at UCSF. Maybe the same. But man, I just don't want more of that. Plus, that's where I had the nightmare of the transfusion (I never did post that blog; I might). It seems like so long ago, but it wasn't. Mostly, what I resented was that when I said, hey, I have difficult veins, they didn't believe me. Until three people failed at drawing a line. Four people, eight tries. Yeah, a pin cushion has it better -- they don't try to get anything out of you when you're a pin cushion. OK so if you're wondering why I don['t want to go back into the hospital this is why. See? Usually, you have enough time for these types of memories to fade. But there's been no fading yet. Maybe some of my memories are bleary. Most. I don't remember much of the first few days, except, shaking in pain and feeling stoned out of my mind and trying to explain that no, more morphine wasn't going to make me feel any better, obviously. Just more high. . . But OK, there were some nice people at St. Mary's too. Like the guy who brought me extra dry shampoos so I could "wash" my hair every day. Jesus? I forget his name; it's in my notes. I think I vowed I'd send him a thank you note but I didn't. I think I was filled with so much gratitude every time he brought ice that I wanted to kiss him. I probably did. Not in THAT way. But that just speaks poorly for the institution, no? That I would be that grateful for supplies that were supposed to be common and ordinary.

OK. So back to present. Julie from the office brought burritos tonight. YUM. Thanks Julie. Yesterday Diane took me to Rainbow grocery, which is the hippy natural foods coop. Got a bunch of raw nuts and other healthy snacks, so I don't keep grabbing chocolate. In fact, I gave the remainder of my very, very, delicious chocolate to my acupuncturist. She will put it to good use, no doubt. I just couldn't have it in here without wanting to dive in. I have been so good about weight loss. But now I'm sleeping a little better and regaining my appetite, so I gotta watch it. Janet, watch it. . . So the day before, Doris took me out for a walk. That was Sunday. I think we walked about a mile. Went to the yuppie little market bi-rite and then stopped for a beer on the way home at the Lexington club. I forget sometimes what a hip happening hood I live in. . .I've really not been drinking but I confess,I had a cider. It tasted great.

The day before on Saturday, Donna and Beth kidnapped me and took me down to 24th Street, which was hustling and bustling. It was a beautiful sunny day and the street was filled with lesbians and their babies. That's Noe Valley for you. Definitely a gaybe boom. Seriously, everyone seemed to have a dog or a baby. Or both. Donna ran into an old friend. I was kind of sad I didn't run into anyone I knew, but I got over it. We had a great lunch (am forgetting the name of the place because my memory has been sucking lately) and window shopped. A highlight for me: stopping in MY favorite store: Radio Shack. No kidding. I got a bunch of DVDs so I can burn movies for friends (and myself) off my TIVO, a new headset and batteries. Woo Hoo. . . Walking back, we ran into Doris. How funny. . She had just called to see if someone had kidnapped me and brought me out to be in the sun with the other humans (and canines). I love San Francisco on days like these when the sun is shining and the stores seem enticing and even the dogs seem to be smiling. I know it's all probably terribly politically incorrect and all, but it just feels good. Eveyone's out. Everyone's happy. Everyone's well fed and well-paid on days like these.

Today I didn't do much. I didn't sleep well so I woke up late. I am way behind on calls to friends and emails as well. So if I owe you a call or email, sorry about that.

OK, that's all for now. Guess I said a lot for having nothing to say. As usual. Over and out for now -- Janet


PS for those not familiar, the photo is an ode to the title of this post

1 comment:

sister c said...

I am shocked, SHOCKED, to find out that Radio Shack is held in such high regard! It is a favorite among my housemates, especially when they are on an outing with me in tow. It is then that I am always faced with the question, "Please, Mom, can we go in?" In my vocabulary, RS is "the black hole of no return." Sigh.