Followers

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Surgeon talk


So, before I forget,I wanted to post this. Wow, as a total aside, it's actually hailing outside. As in small pieces of ice falling from the sky. I know all you East Coasters think nothing of it but it's still a little dramatic).. Anyhow, Dr. Ries just called me. It's the first time we've spoken since being in the hospital. I had left a few messages with his assistants. The bottom line, he told me, is that the level of pain I'm experiencing seems to be normal -- expected, especially given how much scar tissue I have in this knee (due to so much previous trauma). That makes me feel a hell of a lot better. I told him I could deal with the pain as long as I knew it was not indicative of something going bad. He said he'll try to get me in before next week, but I basically told him that hearing him say he thinks it sounds normal makes me feel better. I told him what I'm doing as far as how far I could bend and what meds I was on. And he said that it actually sounded I was doing great. As in GREAT. So yes, that felt good to hear. I should expect pain for several months, he said. Funny -- that might have bothered me a few weeks ago. But now it doesn't. I can live through pain. I've been doing it. Just as long as it means I'm healing. I just had a really great workout (on my own). Did all my physical therapy stuff. Also did a bunch of crunches, some weights and sitting down boxing (which is just me punching this silly little spring bag a few times.)Anyhow, this is another lesson; listen to the professionals. I feel a lot calmer. Worry can be wearing. And for those who don't understand the medication thing -- he stressed to me how important it is to keep my pain under control with meds so that I can continue to heal and exercise. So that's the good news. I think I'm going back to listening to Mozart and the clacking of hail against my window. OK. I'm not all that cultured. Right now I'm playing Mozart but it's on a big mix so next I could be attempting to dance to Fergie or even -- shock -- Justin Timberlake. Hey, how can you NOT like SexyBack? And then I'll probably have to chase Henry -- limping -- across the house after he attacks Kali. Yes, I'm sure it's comedic to see me limping after him with a water bottle in one hand, yelling Henry NO! (which I'm pretty sure I think he thinks is his name) trying to get close enough to splash him in punishment. . . Then I'll do another round of exercises (at which time I allow myself to watch my Tivo'd shows) before Michelle comes over. And yes, there are those bills. Those bills. Those taxes. Just waiting. . waiting. . . waiting. . Now ya'll are envious of my days, no? Ciao -- Janet

2 comments:

sister c said...

Just a note to say that your uncultured music is a far sight better than what gets played in my house. For example, Gunther. Don't ask.

Michelle Kessler said...

as long as we're being campy, how about kylie minogue? or rihanna -- woo!