Followers

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Wish me luck...and Happy Valentine's Day


Going to see the physician assistant today to find out about my progress and to try to get into the UCSF physical therapy program. I really like my current physical therapist, but I want to get back into the UC system, as they're accustomed to working with my doctor. (When I had surgery at St. Mary's that apparently pumped me into their physical therapy system.) For those who don't know (and why should you?) physical therapy is pretty essential in this surgery. If you don't bend your knee enough, it could actually adhere and cause you to have another surgery. But if I overdo it then. . well, you get the picture. I'm very happy to be going to this appointment. Diane is driving me with her son, Charlie. I'll hopefully post pictures later.

Also, I want to blog about all the fine food I've been eating. Last night my friends Susan and Jim came over and cooked an entire meal. YUM. And they left me leftovers. I LOVE leftovers. And it was incredibly delicious. The other night Jennifer and David came over and cooked a meal so I had been surviving off those. Not to be sappy -- but I have to say I'm feeling the love and really appreciate it. . . And yesterday -- I almost forgot -- I had my first meal OUT with Oren. Good thing the restaurant allowed me to prop up my leg with my big ol' icepack. It was nice but tiring. . . you know how sushi is :-) When I came home, I felt like I'd run a marathon and immediately hit the sack and conked out for several hours.

I'll try to post later but a few random notes: nights are getting slightly easier but still in pain. Trying to tone down the meds. Wish I didn't have to take them at all, but man, this bone pain sucks. Had a dream last night featuring the cast from the SF office at work. No, I can't quite remember it but it had something to do with the weather and covering hurricanes for the paper. I think I fell asleep with the weather channel on. (I'm also thinking good thoughts about you; Nancy was on TV, which is all I remember.) Sometimes when I wake up in pain, I just turn the TV on. Having voices of other humans helps somehow. I've actually started enjoying the history channel. But I also am hoping to start reading again. Funny how hard some things feel. Concentration is not my best attribute at this point. Nor is patience.

But am trying to keep a positive attitude, as I feel it's important for healing .. . will post photos later.

Oh, one last thing -- and man, this is a bummer. Turns out that sugar is actually BAD for healing. And I thought chocolate fixed EVERYTHING. but apparently it doesn't. And no, I didn't learn that from Oprah (It was just a convenient link). In fact, I'm not really watching daytime TV. But I do tune into her at night once in awhile (hey Oprah, enough with the celeb interviews already; whatever happened to touchy/feely/tear-jerking Oprah? Is she gone or am I just catching the celeb shows?)

So that's my stream of consciousness for the morning.

I'm trying to post more often, even if they're little, blabbery posts.

PS just added this picture. This is from my lunch. And yes, I ate this. YUM!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're moving around more. Was wondering how you've been doing. I went to UCSF for my PT too. I went to Bevin and she was great. Hope they find time in their schedule for you.
I'm biking 50 miles on the weekends. Hard to believe my tkr was nine months ago. Hang in there, it gets better!

Carol (at UCSF)