Followers

Monday, January 22, 2007

The Details


Tomorrow, January 23, I'm doing it: total knee replacement. The surgery will be performed at St. Mary's Medical Center in San Francisco by UCSF doctor Michael Ries. He has an excellent reputation. He will be performing something called minimally invasive knee replacement surgery, which basically means they make a smaller incision so the healing should be a bit faster. The joint he's using is called Journey, which, comes in smaller sizing for women and is relatively new. It offers lots of ligament support and is made out of something called oxinium, oxidized zirconium. So I will be bionic. And yes, I will set off metal detectors! The accompanying picture is the picture of the device that will be installed in my leg).

I will be in the hospital 3 to 5 days and in hardcore recovery about three weeks. I will be out of work anywhere from 6 weeks to three months. My parents -- including my Mom and Dad (just wanted to include that link) and Cesa will be keeping track of my progress and I've asked my friends Patty and Jim to post regular updates on this blog. I also should have my cellphone with me (and will forward my home phone). If you need any of those numbers, please email. (I don't want to post here since this is public. But for those of you who actually know my last name, I'm listed in the phone book! If you want to visit, just call first. I don't know how I'll be feeling in the hospital. But I know I'll want lots of visitors at home. Thanks again for all your support and for putting up with my craziness the past few months.

No comments: